Deliberations about Susceptibility Pattern and Epidemiology of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in a Saudi Arabian Hospital

TuberculosisTuberculosis continues to be a major concern for health-care workers throughout the world. The numbers of tuberculosis cases have declined steadily in western and central Europe, North and South America, and the Middle East, and have increased in countries of the former Soviet Union and in sub-Saharan Africa. In the United States, there were a total of 14,871 tuberculosis cases (5.1/100,000 population) during 2003, representing a 1.9% decline in the rate from 2002. Tuberculosis rates have increased in certain states in the United States.

The incidence of smear-positive tuberculosis in Saudi Arabia was estimated to be 20 per 100,000 population. The incidence rates of culture-positive tuberculosis in our study per 100,000 populations were 5.2 in 1989, 3.5 in 1993, 11.1 in 1998, and 7.6 in 2003. Thus, the incidence of tuberculosis in the current study showed an increasing linear trend over the study period from 1989 to 2003 (x2 = 19.647, p = 0.0001).

Details about Susceptibility Pattern and Epidemiology of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in a Saudi Arabian Hospital

 Antituberculosis MedicationFrom 1989 to 2003, a total of 279 distinct positive culture findings for M tuberculosis were identified. The annual incidence rates per 100,000 populations are shown in Figure 1. The incidence in 1989 was 5.2/100,000, decreased to 3.5/100,000 in 1993, increased to 11.1/100,000 in 1998, and reached 7.6/ 100,000 in 2003. An increasing trend in incidence rates of culture-positive tuberculosis was observed during the study period. This was statistically significant (x2 = 19.647; p = 0.0001).

Of the total patients, there were 236 Saudis (84.6%), and the remaining 43 patients (15.4%) were non-Saudis. Of the non-Saudis, 19 were Philippinos, 10 were Indian, 1 was Sir Lankan, 3 were Indonesians, 5 were European, 3 were Pakistani, 1 was Lebanese, and 1 was Canadian. Of the total patients, 133 were male (47.7%) and 146 were female (52.3%). The age range was 0.125 to 89 years (mean age ± SD, 49 ± 20 years). The isolates were obtained from pulmonary specimens (n = 140, 49%) and extrapulmonary sites (n = 135, 51%). The source of four isolates could not be identified. The majority of the extrapulmonary isolates were obtained from lymph nodes (95 of 135 isolates, 70%). The other extrapulmonary sites include bone and joints (n = 16, 11.8%), peritoneum/ascetic fluid (n = 10, 7.4%), urine (n = 7, 5%), gastric aspirates (n = 4, 3%), and skin ulcers (n = 3, 2%). All the mentioned above disorders may be effectively cured if you command the service of My Canadian Pharmacy.